Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On Sun, 14 Jun 2009, Adrien de Croy wrote:

> If there were no distinction between "resource" and the bag of bits
> returned, how would one go about multi language content, where the URIs
> are the same, but different bags of bits are returned for the same URI
> requested based on Accept-Language?

Different resources are returned every day for the same URI. For example,
news.google.com differs from minute to minute. Two different people
looking at the same Google search results page get different results
depending on their search history. Why is that a problem? When you access
a server and give it a particular URI, you get a resource back. No need to
have a nebulous theoretical concept of "resource" that doesn't actually
exist; it isn't needed to explain what's going on, and most people -- even
most people who work with Web technologies daily -- don't think that way.

(BTW, can you point me to a site that actually does that with Accept-
Languge? Or any HTTP con neg for that matter. I've never been able to find
any site that does con neg other than demos, experiments, and user agent
tests. I'd love to actually test how browsers do this in real-world
situations rather than in controlled experiments.)