Re: Proposal: 205 Bodies [#88]

Julian Reschke wrote:

>Adrien de Croy wrote:
>> Since 205 is for resetting a form, and since therefore it's intended
>> audience is browsers, and since there's no apparent browser support for it,
>> perhaps 205 should go the way of 305.
>
> Perhaps. Otherwise we probably should think about why it's not implemented.
> Maybe it isn't sufficiently clear from the description what it's good for?

IMHO the description is clear, but it is not implemented because it doesn't
give feedback to the user, thus it wouldn't be used.

Suppose a website returns 205 after successful form submissions. If
user-agents implement 205 as specified in section 10.2.6 (i.e. "SHOULD reset
the document view"), the human users will find that after clicking the submit
button, the form is suddenly blanked, and they may think their submission
didn't complete.

This feature is better realized by returning an entity with 200 status,
containing the same (reseted) form, and a message such as "submission
successful, please enter more data" (not to mention using AJAX and similar
approaches).  On the other hand, 205 responses may be useful if the server
will interact with purpose-specific clients, because these clients may
implement the user notification by their own.

BTW, I found interesting that HTTP cares about presentation issues...

Regards

Javier