Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

On Fri, 5 Jun 2009, Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:

> >> why step 3 only applies when you have at least three bytes and then
> >> only compares two bytes,
> >
> >We could change this to be slightly tighter, but it's a bit pedantic.
>
> When I read the text I suspect there is an error in the specifi- cation,
> and would then implement what I think my application ought to do; but
> your goal is that people implement it exactly as written.

The original reason for this was that I did not want to sniff as a
particular type a file that only contained a BOM, since it is more likely
that this is an error and that the file is really some other encoding.

> >> why the UTF-32 BOM is not being detected,
> >
> >We measured and determined that it was not needed for compatibility. In
> >general, we tried to minimize the amount of sniffing.
>
> As I read the draft, UTF-32LE encoded text/plain documents will be
> sniffed as text/plain because they have a UTF-16LE BOM; UTF-32BE encoded
> text/plain documents will be sniffed as application/octet- stream. This
> is inconsistent and confusing (there is suddenly some doubt whether you
> treat the document as UTF-16 or UTF-32, and while browsers might not
> support UTF-32, other applications will).

We're explicitly not supporting UTF-32. For more details see HTML5.