Re: Content Sniffing impact on HTTPbis - #155

Julian Reschke wrote:

> If we make the absence of Content-Type equivalent to sending
> application/octet-stream is recommended by
> <http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2046.html#rfc.section.4.5.1>, then
> sending no Content-Type becomes less plausible.

The question is, what is the default metacontent transmitted when there is
no other information?  As the majority of content is unpadded, organized
into eight bit octets with zero padding, etc, this is not a bad assumption.
Although I suspect that a new value of application/unknown-stream would be
appropriate.

Server misrepresentation of Content-Type will cease, once browsers stop
misrepresenting the content type.  Until web authors and administrators
(including mass vhosters) become aware that they have misrepresented the
data they are serving, they will continue to generate the 3% (IIRC) of
mislabeled content.