Re: Cache-Control private="...", no-cache="..." (was RE: draft-ietf-httpbis-p6-cache-06)

On Tue, 26 May 2009, Brian Smith wrote:

> I thought I had an explanation of how this could be useful, but my
> explanation doesn't really jive with what the spec. says. I, too, would
> really like to hear somebody explain how a cache is supposed to handle
> private="header1, header2" and no-cache="header1, header2".

The same way you will handle "Cache-Control: no-cache, max-age=86400". It
is an error case, and a good implementation will most probably choose to
take the more restrictive approach (no-cache), or simply discard the
response for the cache purpose (so treat it as uncachable, which is the
same as no-cache, but the intent is different).
Another extreme is to simply reject such responses as it is clearly an
error.

         ~~Yves