Re: BNF for Cache-Control

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Adrien de Croy wrote:
>> I guess the answer lies in the wording around the directives
>> themselves.  Some of them it's pretty clear are intended only for
>> request messages, some for response messages.  Some are less clear,
>> and the syntax for some differs between request and response (e.g
>> no-cache).
>
> In case you didn't notice: those have been separated into distinct
> subsections since draft 05.
you referring to the HTTPbis work?  I've been referring to RFC2616.

>> So one way to look at this would be that the grouping of directives
>> into cache-request-directive and cache-response-directive are mainly
>> to demonstrate which type of messages these directives are expected
>> to be used in, without banning them from the other.
>>
>> I guess a similar issue would arise in any header that could be part
>> of a request or response message which contains directives which may
>> or may not make sense for a request or a response (e.g. Connect).
>>
>> In the end, I'm more than happy to ignore headers that don't make
>> sense in the context, but specific wording in the spec to back those
>> decisions up would be useful.
>
> The descriptions already should clearly say "general", "request",
> "response", or "entity"...

sorry, I meant ignore cache directives (not headers) that don't make
sense in the context - as you were suggesting.  I just didn't want to
create problems in case some server sent some directive that looked like
a request directive, and I'd predetermined to ignore it.

Regards

Adrien