Re: BNF for Cache-Control

Adrien de Croy wrote:

> the production for Cache-control seems to imply that any cache control
> header can contain any number of cache-request-directive or
> cache-response-directive.  This means a mixture of both is permissible.
>
>    Cache-Control = "Cache-Control" ":" 1#cache-directive
>    cache-directive = cache-request-directive | cache-response-directive
>
> Is this intended?  Surely cache-response-directive are only valid for
>
> I would have expected something more like:
>
>    Cache-Control = "Cache-Control" ":" cache-control-request |
> cache-control-response
>    cache-control-request = 1#cache-request-directive
>    cache-control-response = 1#cache-response-directive
>
> to enforce separation.
>
> Apologies if this is already covered in HTTPbis

There's a limit to what we can (or *want*) express in the ABNF.

If we made that change, a header instance that combined both request and
response directives would by syntactically invalid. Would that reflect
what's really desired and implemented? Shouldn't recipients just ignore
those directives they don't understand?

BR, Julian