Re: Issue 163, was: Meaning of invalid but well-formed dates

Julian Reschke wrote:
> Yes, the 2-digit dates are a can of worms. This is a mess, we do both
> say "MUST accept", but then do not say what it means.

And we *can't* just assert a meaning arbitrarily, since we also forbid
implementations to send them, and so by definition, if you receive an
rfc850-date, then you've received it from an implementation that doesn't
obey our rules...

> That being said, changing a normative requirement from RFC2616, even if
> it's underspecified, is something we shouldn't do lightly.

Has anyone even seen an rfc850-date in the wild recently?

Anyway, if you really want to nail their semantics down, RFC 2616 and
1945 (HTTP/1.0) both say that the Date header has "the same semantics as
orig-date in RFC 822", and RFC 822 says that "If included, day-of-week
must be the day implied by the date specification." Since HTTP's
rfc850-date syntax requires the day of week to be present, then if we
just say implementations SHOULD assume all rfc850-dates refer to years
between 1900 and 2299, then they are no longer ambiguous, merely
annoying. "Monday, 18-May-09 19:16:46 GMT" is today, and "Tuesday,
18-May-09 19:16:46 GMT" was 100 years ago.

-- Dan