Re: Meaning of invalid but well-formed dates

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Wed, 32 March 2009 00:00:00 GMT" matches HTTP-date, and as far as I can
> tell is completely valid to produce and send. However, what it actually
> means is completely undefined.

Nope. It may be valid according to the ABNF grammar, but that doesn't
make March, 32 a valid date.

> Equally, "Mon, 03 May 2009 00:00:00 GMT" matches HTTP-date, but the
> wkday and and date1 disagree. This too is valid, but what it means is
> undefined.

See above.

> Actually, I can't find anything that even defines what "Sun, 03 May 2009
> 00:00:00 GMT" a valid and logically correct date means.

I think it's totally obvious what it means. The day is "03", the month
is "May", and the year is "2009". What am I missing here?

Maybe you could clarify what you're looking for? Do you have any
evidence of implementations interpreting valid dates incorrectly?

BR, Julian