Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> I didn't say anything else. Looking at the problem scope from a general
> HTTP point of view, not specific WebDAV.
>
> I don't see why WebDAV servers can't also implement a POST interface for
> creating resoures. Would be very odd if WebDAV prohibits this when it is
> allowed by HTTP. But it's not part of the WebDAV application of HTTP.

It's totally optional.
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/draft-reschke-webdav-post-01.html>
describes how a server can advertise that it does allow POST-for-create
(and also allows the URI to be posted to to be different from the
collection URI).

> But I would be very annoyed if installing WebDAV support made my photo
> album application no longer can accept form based uploads of images
> where the server names the image based on exif information in the image.

Right.

BR, Julian