Re: server applying PUT to a resource other than the request-URI

On 24.10.2008, at 23:48, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
> On fre, 2008-10-24 at 16:24 -0500, Brian Smith wrote:
>> Henrik Nordstrom wrote:
>>> 2. If you absolutely must operate in this manner use POST for
>>> creating
>>> the resource. There is no standard POST application protocol for
>>> creating server named resources so invent your own ontop of POST.
>>> This
>>> could be as simple as having the complete payload just as PUT, or a
>>> more elaborate protocol with added meta data such as the forms POST
>>> protocol or something similar, it's up to the application.
>>
>> But, this doesn't work for WebDAV and extensions of it. For WebDAV
>> you
>> *must* let the client choose the name. Otherwise, your server isn't
>> a WebDAV
>> server.
>
> I didn't say anything else. Looking at the problem scope from a
> general
> HTTP point of view, not specific WebDAV.
>
> I don't see why WebDAV servers can't also implement a POST interface
> for
> creating resoures. Would be very odd if WebDAV prohibits this when
> it is
> allowed by HTTP. But it's not part of the WebDAV application of HTTP.
> But I would be very annoyed if installing WebDAV support made my photo
> album application no longer can accept form based uploads of images
> where the server names the image based on exif information in the
> image.

Yes. The problem is that Julian pushes his POST extension towards
WebDAV based protocols (CalDAV/CardDAV). While I'm not against adding
a specialized POST as an extension, it does not really fit WebDAV and
IMHO does not belong into such (DAV) specs. Hence I think it has
little chance for adoption.

Greets,
   Helge
--