Re: issue 85 - range unit extensions

Yves Lafon wrote:
>> Playing the devil's advocate: is there *any* range unit other than
>> "bytes" we can think of that is indeed independent of formats? Right
>> now, I can't think of any.
>
> The text proposed by Mark uses SHOULD NOT, not MUST NOT. In some case,
> it might be ok to use a format specific range unit, like 'character'
> (for text content in multi/variable-bytes encodings), or 'frames' for
> video content. I am not saying that those are good examples, just that
> it may happen.

I totally agree this could happen. My point was that in practice most
extensions may be format specific, thus even a SHOULD NOT would be to
strong.

>>> Furthermore, Section 6.2 - the BNF says:

>>> This does not allow other range units to be used. If we keep them,
>>> this BNF needs to be changed to something like:
>
> Well, is it forbidden to ask servers to give back byte-ranges that a cache
> can... cache ? What is transported is bytes, so requesting the 10 first
> characters of an utf-8 document and receiving 12 bytes using a
> Content-Range in bytes might help caches to DTRT, so I am not sure that
> the proposed BNF change is desirable (as "exotic" Content-Ranges won't
> be cached for sure).

It would be useful for caches, but not for the client, right? It would
still need to know what range with respect to the original range unit
was returned.

I also note that Range (Section 6.4) would need additional work as well.

BR, Julian