qvalue *, was: Issue 113

Frank Ellermann wrote:
> Julian Reschke wrote:
>
>> again, what problem do we want to solve here?
>
> The problem of "*" or "*/*" or other Accept-* stars,
> where the implicit or explicit <qvalue> is not the
> smallest <qvalue> in the Accept-* list.

It's only a (potential) problem if clients send it. Do you have any
evidence this happens in practice?

> Including the special cases *;q=0, *;q=1, and *.
>
> This is an issue in its own right, not limited to
> #113 and Accept-Language.  It is a wildcard-qvalue
> issue.  2616bis should tell implementors what this
> means.  If this is hopelessly non-interoperable the
> concept of Accept-* wildcards could be deprecated.

The case where "*" has qvalue bigger than an other value in the list is
an edge case. I don't see why a client ever would send it.

The handling of "*" is defined separately for each header. So we'd
really have to restate whatever we want to say for each of them, or to
restructure that stuff.

Not convinced.

BR, Julian