Re: Microsoft's "I mean it" content-type parameter

Robert Collins wrote:
> If they assume that fixing all the bust clients they have been shipping
> for years is infeasible, then I think they would have concluded its the
> right way.
>
> I think its bogus - it requires every web site author in existence to
> change their site to fix a defect in MSIE. Thats got to be harder to
> deploy than just a hotfix to MSIE to not sniff at all. 'Sorry, bad idea,
> fixed in hotfix #12345.'

Well, not only MS is guilty of sniffing (although they may have started
it), and the HTML5 spec has lots of details on how to do it
(<http://www.w3.org/html/wg/html5/#content-type-sniffing>), although it
at least allows UAs not to sniff (*).

BR, Julian

(*) Need to check: is this the case throughout the spec, or are there
exceptions?