RE: PROPOSAL: i24 Requiring Allow in 405 Responses

Julian Reschke wrote:
> here's what I'd like to do, based on Mark's summary and
> Stefan's latest
> proposal:
>
> In the description of the Allow header, replace
>
>   This field cannot prevent a client from trying other methods.
>   However, the indications given by the Allow header field value
>   SHOULD be followed. The actual set of allowed methods is defined
>   by the origin server at the time of each request.
>
> by
>
>   This field cannot prevent a client from trying other methods.
>   The published set of allowed methods is defined by the
>   origin server at the time of each request. The absence of
>   methods in this set has no defined semantics.

The first sentence "This field cannot prevent..." is meaningless and
thus confusing. The server cannot prevent the client from doing
anything. It should be removed.

"The absense of of methods in this set has no defined semantics" implies
that the presence of methods in the set does have (well-)defined
semantics, which is not really true.

How about:

"The methods listed in the Allow field of a response were allowed when
that response was produced; additional, unlisted, methods may have been
allowed at that time as well. Regardless of whether or not a method was
listed in a previously-returned Allow field, the server MAY allow or
refuse the use of any method in any (future) request. Servers are
RECOMMENDED to include an accurate and complete set of methods in any
Allow field returned in a response."

- Brian