Re: PROPOSAL: Weak Validator definition [i101]

Robert Siemer wrote:
> There are. At least some of my CGI scripts use them. - I would not
> discard that many other CGIs do the same.
>
> To see no useful weak etag implementations within the static file
> serving code among common servers does not surprise me at all. - How
> should they know about semantic equivalence?
>
> I still don't know why this mecanism has to be an illusion.

I don't say, it *has to be* an illusion. I say it *is* an illusion, when
confronted with current practice. And the spec is self-contradictory,
because it contains two mutual exclusive definitions of weak etags.

You can resolve this to either side. But the only realistic way seems to
be to adapt the spec to current practice.

Werner