RE: Connection limits

<<Should I ever implement this, I will try using multiple DNS names for
the same server and see if that is effective.  If not, I will have to
use multiple IPs as well as multiple DNS names.>>

Multiple DNS names alone should be completely effective.

<<If a new revision of HTTP still has a recommended small limit, I think
it would be useful to have a request or response header meaning "don't
count this connection towards the usual limit for the duration of
this request".>>

Agreed.  This is something that has come up in other areas, particularly those trying to build COMET-style applications.  Also suggested was enabling the server to communicate, via a response header, the desired maximum connections.

<<I'm under the impression that the 2 connection limit is more
rigorously enforced by IE than Mozilla, as I have seen comments about
needing to work around it in discussions about delayed-GET techniques,
but I haven't tested this.>>

Firefox2+ has a very cool feature whereby they respect the 2-connections suggestion, unless a request has been queued for more than maxStartDelay seconds (10, by default, IIRC).  At that time, the request just goes out of the wire, ignoring the limit.  They then allow up to a maximum of 8 connections per server.  Opera simply defaults to a max of 8 connections per server.

For IE8, we have raised the default connections per host limit to 6 if the user is on a non-modem connection.  http://almaer.com/blog/death-of-www1-www2-thanks-to-connection-limit-raising

Eric Lawrence
Program Manager
Internet Explorer - Security