RE: NEW ISSUE(S): Retrying Requests

Mark Nottingham wrote:
> This is defined in the context of persistent connections
> that have closed, which is fine, except that retry
> behaviour for idempotent requests isn't defined anywhere
> else; the reader has to deduct that it's possible by
> reading between the lines here. Since automatic
> retries are implemented in a number of places (client and
> intermediary), I think it should be at least mentioned in
> a way that isn't just specific to connections closing,
> and as a MAY, not just a MUST NOT on non-idempotent
> requests. I.e., I think request retries (as
> opposed to connection retries) deserves its own section.

I agree that is a good idea. It also affects the Pipelining section, and
anywhere else that mentions idempotency. With this new section, maybe
the term idempotency can be totally removed from the specification? I
agree with Roy [1] that the use of the term in RFC 2616 has caused more
trouble than benefit.

[1] http://www.imc.org/atom-protocol/mail-archive/msg10759.html

- Brian