Re: i69: Clarify "Requested Variant"

On Feb 14, 2008, at 5:28 PM, Robert Siemer wrote:

> That inter-method-dependency is unacceptable. You say that the server
> may even select a representation based on whatever it wants, but it
> can't make it method dependend?

No, that isn't what we are talking about.  We are trying to find a way
to describe just one of the set of values (representations) that are
current for a given resource and then use that name to indicate
other requirements having to do with etags, other methods, etc.

Personally, I would prefer to just rewrite the sections so that
they make sense without knowing anything about the implementation
behind the interface.  But that requires serious thought and a lot
less emails to read.

> So I would define the "selected representation" as: "The
> representation
> selected by the server based on request headers and/or other factors."

Then you would be talking about the payload within the response, not
the (formally known as "requested variant") that is the topic of this
discussion.

> Roy, do you mean that all response entities are "representations"?

Yes.  See

<http://www.ics.uci.edu/~fielding/pubs/dissertation/
rest_arch_style.htm#sec_5_2_1_2>

....Roy