Re: i69: Clarify "Requested Variant" [was: New "200 OK" status codes, PATCH & PROPFIND]

Adrien de Croy wrote:
> Quick question (hopefully) - what's the difference between
> "representation" in this case and "entity"?  I feel I'm missing something.

OK, let's try.

A representation:

"An entity included with a response that is subject to content
negotiation, as described in Section 12. There may exist multiple
representations associated with a particular response status." --
<http://greenbytes.de/tech/webdav/rfc2616.html#rfc.section.1.3>

An entity:

"The information transferred as the payload of a request or response. An
entity consists of metainformation in the form of entity-header fields
and content in the form of an entity-body, as described in Section 7."

So an entity can be a representation of a resource (such as for a
successful GET), but doesn't need to be.

Maybe it would make sense to enumerate all cases where this is the case?

Such as:

- GET -> 200
- PUT -> 201 where Content-Location == Request-URI
- POST -> 201 where Content-Location == Location
- ...

BR, Julian