Re: Unknown text/* subtypes [i20]

On 12 Feb 2008, at 14:03, Julian Reschke wrote:

> HTTP/1.1 recipients MUST respect the charset label provided by the
> sender; and those user agents that have a provision to "guess" a
> charset MUST use the charset from the content-type field if they
> support that charset, rather than the recipient's preference, when
> initially displaying a document.

Does this mean using US-ASCII for text/xml without an explicit
charset? I read it as meaning so (as by omitting it you have
implicitly sent a US-ASCII charset label).

If you really want to require such a thing it is worth noting that it
is extremely unlikely that any major HTTP implementation will actually
abide by what 2616bis requires (therefore making the major
implementations non-conforming). Do you really want to write a spec.
with  couple of academic/experimental implementations, and nothing
else? Surely it'd be more useful to specify HTTP in such a way that
the major implementations can actually abide by the specification
(while meeting market demands)?

--
Geoffrey Sneddon
<http://gsnedders.com/>