Re: HTML5 vs content type sniffing

On Sat, 2 Feb 2008, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Ian Hickson wrote:
> > So few people have adopted IE7 instead of IE6 (as opposed to other
> > browsers instead of IE6, or even more commonly, just staying with
> > IE6),
>
> Few? <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Internet_Explorer> claims that in
> January 2008, market shares were 42.93% for IE7 and 32.30% for IE6.
>
> I understand that it's hard to get reliable statistics, and I'd
> personally would *love* to see market shares for other browsers being
> higher.
>
> But how can you say "few people have adopted IE7 instead of IE6" when
> the market share is that high? Do you have drastically different
> numbers?

To make a fair assessment of upgrade adoption rate, you have to discount
IE7 installs due to bundling with new computers, and you have to compare
the rate of adoption against other browsers. For example, Safari 2 to
Safari 3, or Firefox 1.5 to 2.0. Unfortunately, as you say, it is hard to
get reliable public statistics.

However, that the second most widely used browser today is one that
shipped over half a decade ago, despite it being obsolete in its own
product line _and_ having been marked for auto-upgrade to the latest
version by its manufacturer, is a pretty clear indication of what I am
talking about.