Re: Unknown text/* subtypes

Julian Reschke wrote:

 [I've removed the types list, feel free to reinsert it]
> 1) Do we want HTTP to override RFC2046's defaults at all?

No.  Overriding it with UTF-8 would make sense (later, not
in 2616bis).  Let's go back to the 2046 defaults for now.

> browsers (just tested Opera/Safari/Mozilla/IE7) ignore all
> three RFCs for at least text/xml (they all look at the
> content).

Of course, authors might know what they do, besides browsers
also have to work with the content behind file and ftp URLs.
And it's tricky to get this right for HTTP server admins...

> we can state "in absence of charset parameter recipient MAY
> do charset sniffing (BOM, XML decl, HTML meta tag, ...),
> which would probably match what's actually implemented.

...HTTP offers a sound mechanism, what browsers do when that
mechanism is not used could be "out of scope" for this WG.
Let's say default ASCII, better guesses are no HTTP problem.

 Frank