Re: Basic auth and realms

* Adrien de Croy wrote:
>How does that fit with appending the realm to a base URI to get a
>"protection space".  to me it seems that indicates that the realm should
>be like a folder on a webserver.  The credentials may be automatically
>re-presented for any URL that maps to a resource in that folder (or any
>sub-folders).

"Combination" here does not mean textual concatenation. Read it like you
would read "A specific latitude in combination with a specific longitude
identifes a precise position on the Earth's surface".

>How then can the client decide whether to try the credentials or not if
>it cannot apriori calculate whether the next URI request will be in the
>same realm as some previous realm?

It cannot do that, it can only make certain assumptions as suggested in
the specification, for example, "A client SHOULD assume that all paths
at or deeper than the depth of the last symbolic element in the path
field of the Request-URI also are within the protection space specified
by the Basic realm value of the current challenge."