Re: i28 proposed replacement text

Julian Reschke wrote:
> >Content-MD5 is not useful for dynamically produced entities.
> >As a trailer it might be possible, but how compatible is that?
>
> Well, unless I'm missing something, it will be hard to send from a
> servlet (hey, Servlet EG, are you listening...?).

Implementation detail.  If you want this kind of message integrity,
fix the implementation :-)

> >I'm thinking that the solution to these is allowing Content-Length in
> >a chunked trailer, and Content-MD5 too.
>
> Well, what would they contain in case of a truncated response? Surely
> not the length/digest of the actual response, because that wouldn't help
> the client finding out about the truncation...

Truncated responses don't have trailers.  Trailers are at the _end_!

> Maybe something like "final-status" as a new response header would make
> sense. That way, a server could send an initial 2xx, start sending
> content, and in case of internal errors could at least signal that
> something went fatally wrong...

Not a bad idea.  A final-status ought to be able to include an error
entity too.  Not sure how to fit that into the present syntax.

-- Jamie