Re: ABNF switch: list rules

Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> Eleminating the list syntax is mainly a goal to line up the HTTP BNF
> syntax completely with other specifications, but I have a feeling that
> it may be better to extend ABNF with a usable list construct.

Only if you consider empty 1F "appeal threatened" sections as boring.

The #-LWS horror permits ASCII art by commas, and that cruft has to
be very explicit.  Recently 2822upd managed to split this into a no
nonsense ABNF, plus an *obsolete* ABNF covering ASCII art with commas.

ASCII art with commas is ugly like hell.  But if you try to keep any
"apparently empty lines" containing only significant white space for
LWS it is broken.  Kill it, or if you keep it make sure that it is
mentioned in the security considerations, and covered by a detailed
implementation and interoperability report.

RFC 2822 + 2822upd have those "apparently empty lines" in <obs-FWS>,
nowhere else.  STD 68 mentions the issue in an <LWSP> ABNF comment.

You have already seen the 2831bis "translation" of the #-LWS horrors,
was anything wrong with that, or why are you looking for other ideas ?

 Frank