Re: Updated Proposal: i24 Requiring Allow in 405 Responses

David Morris wrote:

> This is fun ;-:) ... following the logic below (I agree with the
> differentiation between 'a' and 'the'), the list in a 405 response
> should be THE list for that particular context ... While there may be
> other methods allowed, even in the given context, the server should never
> provide a different list for the same conditions.

That's true. So for a given resource, there is no (or not necessarily,
anyway) single list of allowed methods. The list returned is always
contextual, and the context may vary (while the Request-URI remains the
same).

So either:

"The Allow entity-header field lists the set of methods supported by the
resource identified by the Request-URI" is missing the fact that "the
set of methods supported" is contextual beyond the identification of the
Request-URI, or:

"The Allow entity-header field advertises a set of methods supported by
the resource identified by the Request-URI."

Regards,

- johnk