Re: sketch of a simple authentication protocol

I have been enquiring a little about the feasibility of the protocol
sketched by Toby and illustrated  below for easy reference. It does
seem to be technically possible, even if it requires some hacking
around. More news later as the implementation proceeds.
Proposal compared to X.509
--------------------------

As I am learning more about SSL I had a few thoughts on how this
proposal compliments and distinguished itself from X.509 on which SSL
is built.

  It is clear that we are augmenting the X509 Distinguished Name [2]
with a URI, in particular a http URL, and in some respects augmenting
the Public Key Infrastructure (PKI) [3] with Linked Data. Let me
consider each in turn:

   1. Distinguished Name enhancement

     I don't know that much about X500, so I can't tell what the
advantages or problems with this protocol/naming system are by
experience, though I did find a detailed, interesting and severe
critique [5]. The Semantic Web seems to generalize above this, as it
deals with all unique identifiers under the topic of URIs, and it has
a system that works - better even: it works with the web.

    The case that we are enhancing X.509 can be made by realizing that
it should be possible to add to the SSL certificate an additional URI
id [4]. Essentially we could then make the statement:

   <distinguishedNameURI> owl:sameAs <foafid> .

By doing this the foaf id would be itself part of the certificate I
suppose and so be vouched by the Certification Authority. Perhaps this
reveals a problem with CAs: would CA.s be happy to vouch for a foaf
id, even if they don't control the contents? If they did then it could
slightly reduce the need for the foaf resource to return information
about the key id identifying the user, or enhance the trust of that
foaf id. Something to think about.

  2. PKI enhancement

    The URI for the user identity is also the place where the
attributes can be found. So there is no need to pass the attributes in
the certificate [5]. They can be fetched in a global distributed
system known as the web, with no central point of control, no
authorization bottleneck, when and if they are needed. As RDF is
extremely flexible and well defined, extending it in a clear and well
documented manner is no problem: every relation can be clicked on to
find its meaning [6]. Another advantage of this PKI is that it should
be easy to revoke a certificate. No need for revocation lists. If the
foaf id of the agent no longer points to the certificate signature,
the certificate can be deemed to be invalid. All the user would need
to do to change his certificate is to create a new one, and publish
its signature to his foaf file. In a semantic address book such as
Beatnik [7], that could be done with the click of a button.

Limitations of the proposal
----------------------------

In the mean time, while searching for solutions I chatted on irc with
Perry Nguyen [1] who did point out a few limitations of the proposal.
Of course every proposal will be a tradeoff between different
constraints, and so will have limitations. OpenId's limitations for
example stem from trying to work around the limitations of browsers,
which is also its big advantage. Still it is useful to list some of
these, if only because some of these may easily be fixed with a little
thought, others may have some good workarounds, and others may make us
more modest. :-)

   1. Man in the middle in step 1

    Yes, that is a problem with any web site. All the unencrypted
pages could be hijacked by a man in the middle and think links to the
protected file could be redirected to some other service. This will
only work if the other service can serve its https pages with a key
that could be deemed to belong to Juliette. So the question outlined
here is how does Romeo get to know Juliette's public key?

	The Web of Trust could be made to work here. If people use the
wot:identity relation between a key and a foaf:Agent to identify the
agent, in the way the foaf:openid, foaf:mbox, foaf:homePage and other
relations do, then Romeo could have some confirming evidence as to the
validity of the public key from his social network. Of course these
will be out of date in the social network if Juliette changes her
public key, but that should be relatively rare. When that happens it
is reasonable to expect people to be on their guard.

   2. Man in the middle in step 2

    That is a rejoins point 1 above. It helps to have Juliette's
public key, if Romeo wants to be sure that he is communicating with
her server. Currently Juliette can pay for a public key from a CA, but
it costs, and if someone steals it, it may take long before the
expiration time on the key times out [5]. I don't think browsers do
much checking of certification revocation lists. So the web of trust
may again work much better.

   3. Man in the middle in step 3

   In the diagram this is not protected. The foaf file contains the
signature of Romeo's key. If this were changed this would leave the
door wide open to abuse. Does this mean that foaf files should be
behind https, even for the non protected files? Notice that we would
be more secure than OpenId, which does not require the openid URL to
be protected. I think I heard that https could be used just to sign a
file without encrypting the communication. When this happens is it
proxy friendly? I mean can, and do, proxies cache the representation
in order to reduce load on the server? What would be gained if romeo
used his private key to sign the representation?

   So these are a few thoughts I gathered on my search to implement
Toby's solution. Feedback welcome of course.

	Henry Story

Home Page: http://bblfish.net/

[1] http://www.hanhuy.com/pages/resume
[2] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distinguished_name
[3] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_key_infrastructure
[3] http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.2/ssl/ssl_intro.html#certificates
[4] My guess is that this would be possible theoretically, though not
easy when dealing with the Java API.
     I am not sure how one would go about it.
     http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.5.0/docs/api/java/security/cert/X509Certificate.html
[5] I did find a very critical document of X.509 on wikipedia
"Everything you Never Wanted to Know about PKI but were Forced to Find
Out"
     http://www.cs.auckland.ac.nz/~pgut001/pubs/pkitutorial.pdf
[6] http://blogs.sun.com/bblfish/entry/get_my_meaning
[7] for more info on Beatnik, see the slightly hidden link on https://sommer.dev.java.net/