Re: Upload negotiation

ons 2008-04-09 klockan 01:08 +1200 skrev Adrien de Croy:

> If a proxy sends a chunked POST to a server, and that server responds
> with HTTP/1.0 and 400 (but not 401, 403 or 404) then the response the
> proxy should send to the client should be 411 Length required?

Probably, or 400 and let the requesting client deal with it.

But the proxy should only accept forwarding the chunked encoding if it
has reason to believe the server really is HTTP/1.1. I.e. if it has seen
an HTTP/1.1 response from it..  (server in this context is the next hop,
not origin server).

So a client sending a POST to a origin server where the proxy knows it's
an HTTP/1.0 server or where it's not known SHOULD result in an 411 by
the proxy. This could happen "randomly" if the server has not been
contacted before (or expired from the version cache) and the proxy is
not willing to probe the server with OPTIONS * or similar probe request.

> Seems like a bit of an assumption, although the HTTP/1.0 is a bit of a
> giveaway, but it's still possible the request was bounced for some other
> reason, and will bounce again even if the client can and does submit
> with Content-Length.

Then it will bounce again, and the proxy will this time know that it's
not the lack of Content-Length causing the bounce..

Regards
Henrik