Re: PROPOSAL: i74: Encoding for non-ASCII headers

fre 2008-04-04 klockan 08:00 +1100 skrev Mark Nottingham:
> Jamie -- if we later decided to allow UTF-8, we'd of course have to
> figure out how it fit into the overall picture. This sub-issue is just
> about whether we should allow C1 in iso-8859-1, as the spec is
> currently written.

My standpoint is that the aim should be to try to get away from
iso-8859-1 and try to get over to UTF-8 where applicable.

Any steps taken which restricts general syntax in a way that UTF-8 would
not fit is a step backwards on that, and in the wrong direction I think.
Any new things added need to fit within the general syntax definition,
which today is based on TEXT.

We could split that, making TEXT octets based allowing any octets except
for CTLs but including LWS (current definition) and another definition
for ISO-8859-1 and use this explicitly where we see that staying with
ISO-8859-1 is the only and the only possible way for the duration of
HTTP/1.x, but I don't see much point in that.

Regards
Henrik