Re: [google-gears-eng] Re: Deploying new expectation-extensions

On Thu, Apr 3, 2008 at 10:56 PM, Adrien de Croy <adrien@qbik.com> wrote:

> My reading of the spec was always that any server or proxy receiving an
> Expects header it didn't understand must bounce the request.  If a proxy
> relayed to the next hop there would be several problems:
>
> a) it would no longer be a hop-by-hop header, but an end-to-end header
> (if all proxies in a chain did this, the request would make it all the
> way to the server)

Not to beat a dead horse, but Expect _is_ end-to-end, according to the last
sentence here:

>    The Expect mechanism is hop-by-hop: that is, an HTTP/1.1 proxy MUST
>    return a 417 (Expectation Failed) status if it receives a request
>    with an expectation that it cannot meet. However, the Expect
>    request-header itself is end-to-end; it MUST be forwarded if the
>    request is forwarded.

However, there seem to be plenty of other reasons why Expect is not useful,
so it's probably moot.

However, I don't believe this use-case requires use of the Expects
> header.  What stops a server simply sending multiple 103 interim
> advertise the desire for such functionality with another header other
> than Expects. That's already explicitly allowed for in the spec...
> sending an Expects header in the request is simply asking anything along
> the chain to bounce the request if they are compliant and don't
> understand it.

What we need to implement
http://code.google.com/p/google-gears/wiki/ResumableHttpRequestsProposal is
a mechanism which:
A) Is guaranteed to reach the origin-server (not discarded or refused by a
proxy)
B) The origin-server will refuse to process if it doesn't understand
These conditions are necessary so that the continuation of a request can't
result in unintended consequences if it ends up at the wrong origin-server.
Charles and I thought that the Expect header would accomplish these two
things.  Does anyone have a suggestion for a different mechanism that could
achieve the same effect?

Thanks,
Brian