Re: NEW ISSUE: message-body in CONNECT response

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Dan Winship wrote:
>> As implemented in the real world, a successful response to a CONNECT
>> request does not include a message-body. But this isn't stated in RFC
>> 2817, and is actually forbidden by RFC 2616.
>>
>> draft-luotonen-web-proxy-tunneling said:
>>
>>     Example of a response:
>>
>>           HTTP/1.0 200 Connection established
>>           Proxy-agent: Netscape-Proxy/1.1
>>
>>           ...data tunnelled from the server...
>
> Do you have any information on how clients treat the response if it has
> a Transfer-Encoding or Content-Length header? What if the response is
> not a 2xx one and includes (or lacks) these headers?

I've looked more at what proxies do than what clients do, but given that
some (most? all?) proxies return message bodies on 407, 403, etc

Some clients might use the rule "a CONNECT response has a body if and
only if it has a Transfer-Encoding or Content-Length, etc" rather than
"a CONNECT response has a body if and only if it has a non-2xx status
code", but this wouldn't cause much in the way of problems; they'd just
fail to see the response body if the server used the
delimited-by-closing-the-socket type of response.

-- Dan