Re: Semantic meaning of double quotation marks delimiting quoted-string

Geoffrey Sneddon wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Earlier today I posted
> <http://gsnedders.com/http-entity-tags-confusion>, and having discussed
> it with various people, have concluded that it'd be best addressed by
> RFC 2616bis.
>
> In short, the post raises the issue of the meaning of double quotes. If
> you parse them out, you end up with Etag: W/"a" and Etag: "W/a"
> equivalent. If you don't, you can end up with character sets such as
> "UTF-8" (i.e., including the quotation marks) in headers like

The simple answer is: the double quotes are part of the entity tag. So a
response header such as

	ETag: x

would simply be invalid and should be ignored.

Best regards, Julian

(PS: I wouldn't be opposed to making that more obvious)