Re: WWW-Authenticate, Authorization and 401's

Mark Nottingham wrote:

> Discussion on the list, as well as in Chicago, seems to be leaning
> towards firming up the combination of 401, WWW-Authenticate and
> Authorization as a framework, possibly described separately.
>
> If that's the case, I'd take a stab and say that 401 is specific to
> authentication mechanisms that use that framework. I.e., it's not just a
> challenge for *any* authentication to be presented, but for
> authentication to be presented using the header defined for it. After
> all, 401 and WWW-Authenticate are already tightly bound (as you point out).
>
> Does that seem reasonable?

Not fully convinced.

If we say that 401 may only be used for authentication within the
RFC2617 framework, then we either

- force servers to use that framework (unlikely to succeed with today's
schemes), or

- force servers not to return a 401 at all.

I think the latter would be bad: in this case I'd prefer a 401 over a
400 or (gasp!) a 200.

Best regards, Julian