Re: Patch options -- summary of recent conversations

Lisa Dusseault wrote:
> >Or... since patch formats are identified by mime media type, it
> >would be
> >possible to use POST and allow the server to derive the intention
> >of the
> >request from the media type.
> >
> >  POST /resource HTTP/1.1
> >
> >  {patch format}
>
> If the server advertises its support for this Content-Type somewhere,
> I could imagine this being sufficiently reliable.  I'm still a little
> worried that the server might respond successfully to a POST request
> without treating it as the client desires -- e.g. adding the request
> entity to an Atom collection, submitting it to a HTTP "drop-box",
> treating it as an alternative body for the resource, or one of the
> many things POST might already be used for out there.

Quite a few resources out there will respond to PATCH by doing those
things anyway.  I've seen quite a few CGI scripts and libraries which
will respond to all requests as though they are POST, unless they are
GET/HEAD.

So you always have to know a bit about which resource you're PATCHing
or POSTing.

> I still prefer PATCH as a verb.

Makes sense to me.

-- Jamie