Re: New "200 OK" status codes, PATCH & PROPFIND

Roy T. Fielding wrote:
> I am really not interested in doing contortions for the sake of
> WebDAV's broken model.  WebDAV is, and always will be, a poor man's
> exception to every rule of HTTP.  That's what the WG insisted on,
> even when I explained why it wouldn't survive the next generation.
>
> The only reason that such a request is valid is because a PROPPATCH
> is generally intended for a specific representation, so testing the
> If-Match on the body ETag is good enough for what PROPPATCH intends.
> If the WebDAV server chooses to use the same entity-tag for both
> properties and representation, then both the above request and my
> proposal will work fine.  If not, then you should be using the ETag
> returned on the PROPFIND response, not a GET response.

Roy,

the reason why people may do strange things we ETags is IMHO not the
fault of WebDAV, but the wording of RFC2616. That's why I've been
pushing for clarifications of "requested variant" and ETag in write
operations for almost two years now.

Don't shoot the messenger.

Best regards, Julian