Re: New "200 OK" status codes, PATCH & PROPFIND

On Aug 6, 2007, at 2:43 PM, Julian Reschke wrote:
> Cache-Control applies to the response. What the proposal is about
> is to enable the server to say that

Cache-control is a general header (both a request and response header).
Its scope in a response is the same as ETag.

> (a) the response body (DAV:multistatus) is cachable for n seconds,
> while
>
> (b) the substitute URL can be used for N seconds,
>
> where N >> n.
>
> So these are really different things.

No, they aren't different things.  Both refer to the same content,
with the same freshness requirements, so there is no situation in
which the resource owner would need to assign them different values.
We simply define cache-control to apply to both and we are done.
That is exactly how I would interpret such a received response today,
that includes both content-location and cache-control, without any
changes to 2616.  All we would be changing is the documentation.

....Roy