Re: Resend: HTTP Performance extension for NAV(network-based anti-virus) systems

Hi

A few months back I submitted an I-D which contained proposals for
progress notifications.

the reason I raise that, is because it considers the same scenarios as
your draft, i.e. it was specifically conceived to deal with issues
around gateway scanning.

There is a problem with the approach taken by your I-D.

It is concerned around the issue of event sending any of the resource to
the client prior to it having been verified as safe.

Trying to get the client to ignore the file after it has downloaded a
whole heap of it isn't safe.  The file may have in fact been padded out
to avert such techniques, so an entire workable image may have been
already received by the client, which would run if executed.

There's not really any amount of an unscanned resource that can be
guaranteed to be safe to send (well maybe just a few bytes).

This is why we're trying to deprecate "drip-feeding" in WinGate, since
it's fundamentally a flawed concept, albeit necessary to appease the
users of browsers.

I just submitted a revised draft which I'll also post here, which just
focuses on using interim response messages to report progress.

Cheers

Adrien