Re: [Fwd: I-D ACTION:draft-dusseault-http-patch-08.txt]

On Aug 1, 2007, at 12:02 PM, Mark Baker wrote:

> What am I missing?  What's the value in restricting the information
> that a response message can communicate?  What's wrong with just
> treating a response which communicates the state of the resource
> post-invocation, as a special case?

It's a different model, that's all.  I see PATCH as something that
automated clients can use to control the state of server resources in
a reasonably predictable manner, and signaled this by talking about
caching and synching clients.  Your model, if I may characterize it,
is closer to having the server in control than the client.

But you already have POST for server-controlled interactions leading
the client to a new part of the application.  There's nothing
restricting a javascript/forms application, AJAX or otherwise, from
using POST to send a delta -- you don't need a standards committee
for that!

Lisa