Re: Suggestion for NEW Issue: Pipelining problems

On 2007/07/24, at 6:59 AM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

>> BTW, do you know of any good (experiment-quality) evaluations
>> of HTTP over SCTP?
>
> Saw some when I looked into this. But unfortunately I don't have
> references..  The conclusions from what I can remember was that it
> currently performs rather poorly in comparision to pipelined HTTP over
> TCP, part due to the inability to batch fragments from different
> messages in the same IP packet to utilize the MTU fully, part from
> SCTP
> implementations not performing as well as they could. But also that
> SCTP
> is fairly young and implementations likely to improve over time likely
> making it perform noticeably better.
>
> I don't think there is any question that HTTP over SCTP has a great
> potential in reducing the average perceived latency of viewing complex
> pages.

I've been wondering about this for a little while, and would very
much like to see more work in this area. One of the interesting
questions is how you'd layer HTTP-over-SCTP onto the existing Web;
Upgrade doesn't quite meet the requirement (it's a whole new
connection). Seems like one more piece of site-wide metadata to
advertise...

--
Mark Nottingham       mnot@yahoo-inc.com