Re: NEW ISSUE: Content-* headers vs PUT

Bjoern Hoehrmann wrote:
> * Julian Reschke wrote:
>> "The recipient of the entity MUST NOT ignore any Content-* (e.g.
>> Content-Range) headers that it does not understand or implement and MUST
>> return a 501 (Not Implemented) response in such cases."
>>
>> It's not clear to me what Content-* headers are? All headers starting
>> with the character sequence "Content-"? Just those defined in RFC2616?
>>
>> Furthermore, that language sounds as if a server that ignores
>> Content-Language (as opposed to storing it with the entity) MUST reject
>> PUT requests that come with a Content-Language header. Is this really
>> intended? Does anybody implement that?
>
> I do not think it sounds like that, and don't think it's unclear which
> headers are Content-* headers. If you understand or implement Content-

Well, I think you're using a _very_ liberal interpretation. How can you
say a server "implements" Content-Language, when it just drops the value?

> Language, you may "ignore" it as far as the requirement goes, and there
> seem to be other valid forms of not ignoring a header. I would read this
> as "reject content you don't understand"; if you don't do content-range
> or content-encoding, that does indeed seem the only sensible course of
> action. Less so for Content-Script-Type or Content-MD5.

It seems to me that this requirement currently is ignored in practice
(will have to write test cases). This is a problem, either with the spec
text, or with the implementations.

Best regards, Julian