Re: NEW ISSUE: Drop Content-Location

Ian Hickson schrieb:
> On Wed, 29 Nov 2006, Julian Reschke wrote:
>> It's late, any I may not have seen all the cases of breakage, but most
>> of them seem to involve private IPs and bogus port numbers. Both
>> problems will not occur when an absolute path is used.
>
> There are definitely absolute paths that are broken too, enough that it
> makes implementing the header basically impossible in a Web browser. (I
> was involved in both Opera's and Mozilla's attempts to implement this
> header.)

OK, thanks for letting us know.

Now what? There are use cases where it doesn't fail (WebDAV, for
instance), and new protocols using it (APP). And cache handling would be
affected, so I don't see how it can be dropped.

So this seems to make it a feature that frequently is used the wrong
way, and therefore isn't supported by the mainstream browsers. But then,
this can be said about other features as well (dare I say "Vary"?).

Best regards, Julian