Re: ETags vs Variants, was: Revising RFC2616 - what's happening

On Nov 5, 2006, at 11:04 AM, Julian Reschke wrote:

> Lisa Dusseault schrieb:
>> Sounds like a trigger to at least consider obsoleting, dropping or
>> deprecating the feature.
>
> Dropping it would be an incompatible change, breaking lots of
> existing servers (which do send it, and if recipients ignored them
> caches would break).
>
> I don't think there's an alternative to clarifying it.

There are certainly more creative alternatives.  For example, if the
spec said roughly that
	- Vary headers are deprecated in the sense that servers implementing
this RFC SHOULD discontinue use of the header, and instead simply use
"no-cache"
	- Clients MUST continue to handle the Vary header.  A client MAY
treat the Vary header as defined in RFC2616, or it MAY simply treat
the header as an indication not to cache the response.
	(plus some more text and ABNF for completeness)

While it can be a little painful to live with a deprecation period,
it ends at some point, and I can't see how the deprecation period
would be worse than the situation Henrik described as the current
reality.

Lisa