Re: security requirements (was: Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8)

On Nov 4, 2006, at 2:42 PM, Henrik Nordstrom wrote:

> lör 2006-11-04 klockan 17:27 -0500 skrev Robert Sayre:

>>> Exacly what I said.
>>
>> OK. Then I submit that such an RFC cannot claim to define HTTP/1.1.
>
> Agreed. It's at most an standards track extension to HTTP/1.1.

Slight disagreement here: if RFCNNNN obsoleted RFC2616, without
bumping the version number, it had better be backwards compatible --
but it is more than a standards track extension to HTTP/1.1, it
becomes the new best definition of HTTP/1.1.

> Also for the record I am against that implementation of strong
> authentication should be mandatory for HTTP protocol compliance.
>
> A requirement of implementation of a well defined strong
> authentication
> scheme IF authentication is implemented is fine however.

That's not a bad start.  The next thing to think about is to ask in
what cases authentication implementation IS required.  I certainly
agree with those who've said that authentication isn't necessary in
some uses of HTTP.

Lisa