Re: security requirements (was: Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8)

Robert Sayre schrieb:
> I think anyone entertaining an HTTP revision is a fool to do so
> without a clear statement on security requirements. The last upgrade
> HTTP security received was SSL, courtesy of Netscape Communications.

Well, as Roy pointed out, a revision of HTTP/1.1 must not break
implementations that comply to RFC2616. As RFC2616 doesn't have MTI
security, this is it.

If the IESG doesn't allow a bug-fix revision of a standards track
document for the reasons above, it really should stick to it's own rules
(RFC2026), declare that spec as "historic", and - should the spec be of
any importance - start an activity to define a successor specification.
In general, the whole issue revising an IETF spec IMHO is very
problematic; compare that with the W3C which has failed with XML 1.1,
but at least maintains XML 1.0 properly (4th edition published in August).

Best regards, Julian