Re: [Ietf-http-auth] Updating RFC 2617 (HTTP Digest) to use UTF-8

* Mark Nottingham wrote:
>That's because whether or not 2617 is revised, 2616 needs to clarify
>when encoding of headers is required. Namely, the spec generically
>says that headers can use RFC2047 encoding, but it doesn't say
>whether this is done before or after the header must conform to the
>BNF (which in many cases doesn't allow the necessary flexibility).

I don't really see this particular problem. RFC 2047 encoded applies
only to TEXT which, for the features defined in RFC 2616, is only in
quoted strings and the reason phrase in responses.

>If it's before, then implementations must RFC2047-decode every
>incoming header, which I would posit no one currently does (and
>discussion seems to back that up).

I don't think this is a valid interpretation.

>If it's the latter, then header specifications (or users of them,
>e.g., authentication schemes) need to explicitly invoke RFC2047
>encoding to have it used.

I don't think so, RFC 2617 for example refers to quoted-string and
RFC 2616 specifies that other encodings than ISO-8859-1 may be used
there only when using RFC 2047 encoding.