Re: [Ietf-caldav] Last Call comment on Etag requirements in draft-dusseault-caldav-12

On Jun 20, 2006, at 10:27 AM, Wilfredo Sánchez Vega wrote:

>   Not really, no.
>
>   HTTP defines ETag.  An HTTP server should be able to use the same
> ETag logic on all HTTP resources, and not treat ETags for calendar
> resources differently than others.  Not all users of ETags are
> going to be aware that calendar resources are special.
>
>   My concern is that if there is *any* inconsistency between the
> general solution when it comes and CalDAV's, that an implementor
> may have to choose between being compliant with CalDAV or the more
> general ETag spec, or may have to continue to implement special
> semantics on calendar resources for purposes which are better
> served by the other spec.
>
>   I realize that "the other spec" doesn't exist today, and that
> this is a total drag.  Can't we take your one paragraph and put it
> into its own document?  I don't know IETF process very well, so I
> don't know what the next steps should be, but as an implementor,
> I'm uncomfortable with the prospect of dealing with two
> independently written specifications for the same behavior.

We basically tried that.  What it turned into was this <http://
www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-whitehead-http-etag-00.txt> with
no consensus on the basic model or apparent drive to come to
consensus.  Got any feedback on that draft?

Lisa