Re: Interpretation of Request-URI Definition

On Thu, 2005/05/19 (MDT), <DDeschenes@extol.com> wrote:

> I'm having some trouble interpreting the definition of Request-URI in
> section 5.1.2 of RFC 2616.  It seems to me that the definition allows
> nonsensical request URIs like ftp://myserver.com/.

The above is a valid URI, used in HTTP requests to an HTTP proxy capable
of working as an FTP-to-HTTP "translator". Most popular HTTP proxies can
do that kind of translation. AFAIK, when you configure an FTP proxy in
your browser, it would use the HTTP protocol and the URLs like the above
to fetch FTP resources. (Pure FTP proxying is barely possible and is not
widely used.)

HTH,

Alex.