Re: Question about proxies forwarding HTTP/1.0 responses

On Thu, 27 May 2004, patrick mcmanus wrote:

> > > It can get you chunked responses..
> >
> > ... and can messages with HTTP/1.0 version strings and TE: chunked.
>
> HTTP/1.0 with TE: chunked cannot safely cause a chunked response. That
> combination is much more likely to be a HTTP/1.0 proxy that propogated a
> TE header it didn't know was hop-to-hop. There is a real chance that
> proxy won't be able to interpret the response correctly.

Oof. I should have been more careful when writing HTTP header names.
Sorry. What I meant to say is that it is safe to respond with chunked
HTTP/1.0 response to an HTTP/1.1 request:

	GET / HTTP/1.1

	HTTP/1.0 200 OK
	Transfer-Encoding: chunked

You are absolutely right that TE request-header has nothing to do with
the ability to use chunking with HTTP/1.0 messages.

Alex.