Re: Conformance Test for HTTP 1.1

There's been a lot of discussion about HTTP compliance tests over the past
few months, but it hasn't gotten anywhere as of yet. Several vendors have
tentatively said they might consider releasing their internally-developed
tools if other vendors were also, but nothing has happened there yet.

I also tried to get the WREC working group interested in this in Pittsburgh,
but the informal consensus there was that it wasn't appropriate for IETF to
produce such a tool.

I've lately been considering starting discussion of development of something
within the W3C, as it was involved in the development of the HTTP, and has
an established history of developing similar tools (although I'm not sure if
W3C can formally commit resources).

If anyone has any thoughts about this, please share them, because I'd like
to get this moving.

Cheers,

--
Mark Nottingham